Friday, February 6, 2009

New running shoes


I've been experiencing some ITB issues on my left side and feel as though my shoes are causing the problem. The store put me in some Mizuno Wave Rider 11's size 9 and off I went. The size 9 should've been a red flag but I listened to the store owner as she said "trust me". The toe box of said shoe felt like a swimming pool and I felt like I was wearing clown shoes. 225 miles later, I decided enough was enough.

I went back to the same store only because of convenience and was helped by a very knowledgeable young man. He put me on the treadmill again and really advised me against a stability shoe based on what he saw and suggested we look at other neutral shoes with less firm heels. The pair that felt the best was the Asics Landreth. At least it did up until I tried on the new - 2009 Mizuno Wave Rider 12. OMG - what huge difference. The Mizuno felt like home and with the new model I was able to size back down to my normal 8.5 with a perfect feeling toe box. There are so many changes that the shoe feels and hopefully performs much different than the previous model. I've got a short brick tomorrow and a long slow run on Sunday so I should be able to tell if these are a keeper or not. If not, it's the Asics Landreth for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, It's Kindzia.
Next time you are in GA, let me know. We can ride...I mean...I can draft! I really need to get back on my bike but I know I'm giving the running a legit chance to breakthrough this year.

You should blog about the Endurance Nation stuff. Lot's of people would have an interest in following along with some of the specifics and user feedback. Or at least I would. The fact that you like it/love it, would be great marketing for Rich and "THE HAUS!" (That's funny...never heard that before).