Monday, March 10, 2008

Supercompensation


Supercompensation - When the body is subjected to overload, it undergoes physiological changes that improve its ability to perform work. The result of supercompensation is known as Training Effect.

I'm nearing the end of a transition week between SMSP - Supermaxium sustainable power intervals and MSP - maximum sustainable power intervals. 3 weeks ago when I moved into the SMSP phase, I was targeting 385W for 1 minute intervals (2 sets of 5 x 1 on 1 off) and was having difficulty at times holding this wattage or something close to 350W. On Saturday, I busted out 5 x 1 on 2 off on the trainer with an average wattage of 415W and had plenty in the tank for an additional set or another 10W per interval. Was it the extra minute of rest or supercompensation that had me doing these intervals at a much higher intensity?

The MSP intervals will range in duration from 8 to 30 minutes with an intensity in high Zone 4 or 100 to 105% of FTP or as Dave Morris calls it MSPO - Max sustainable power output. Work to rest ratio is about 2:1. According to Morris, these MSP workouts promote many of the same effects as longer endurance rides, only to a much greater degree. In addition, the pathways that produce and consume lactic acid are utilized more extensively. Faster-twitch muscle fibers are more involved during MSP intervals and become more aerobically trained.

In looking at my PMC above, it is obvious that I experienced a one-time event, in this case switching coaches. What's more amazing is the amount of time I've spent with a positive TSB and how my fitness level and strength continue to improve. One side effect that I need to get a handle on is a slight weight gain due to the reduction in miles/time spent on the bike. 2-3lbs in 1.5 months doesn't seem like much but I can't afford for this trend to continue, especially when my goal weight is 150lbs and I'm currently at 156lbs.

No comments: