Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MSP Intervals

I've been looking forward to this phase of my training plan as I enjoy the longer (8-20 minute) efforts at threshold or max sustainable power over the shorter 1-4 minute intervals. My volume should increase in the phase as well and as I previously mentioned, I hope the increased volume will regulate my weight once again.

Today the plan called for 3 x 8 minutes on 4 minutes off at a target wattage of around 300W. I decided to do these on a 2.5 mile climb and it worked out well as I was able to keep the wattage up and the cadence at around 95rpm+. The elevation change over the 2.5 miles is approximately 210'. For the first interval I averaged 305W with an average speed of 18.8mph, 304W at 18.8mph for interval 2 and 300W at 18mph for interval 3.

My last ride on the road was 3/1 so I decided to get in another hour at tempo in order to get some more miles in my legs. 3 straight weeks of 1-6 minute intervals can make your body forget what it's like to be in the saddle for 5 to 6 hours at a time.

No comments: