Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Not Enough Carbs

As I mentioned previously, my weight has increased by 2 lbs since switching coaches/training philosophies as my time on the bike has been cut in half. After I realized I gained 2lbs, I stopped weighing myself daily and made a conscious effort to cut back on my food intake.

Today, after an AR ride, I decided to get on the scale and I was surprised by what it said. Not only did I lose the 2lbs that I gained but I also lost an additional 2lbs. My energy level as of late and my performance on Saturday can now be traced back to me limiting my food intake. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

At my weight - 152lbs, I should be consuming between 6 to 10 grams of carbs per kilo of body weight per day or around 415g - 691g. In addition, I should include the following supplementation:

  • 5g of carbs per kilo of body weight 3-4 hours before competitive events or long training rides.
  • 40 to 60 grams of carbs (20 to 30 ounces) per hour during exercise
  • 1.25g per kilo of body weight immediately following and 1g per kilo of body weight every 2 hours for 6 hours after exercising for an hour or more (meals are included in this amount).
I can tell you as of late, that I've only been consuming around 400g per day even when working out and this is obviously not enough to keep the engine fueled.

Better start loading up now as I have 3 days of hard intervals starting on Wednesday.

No comments: