Monday, April 28, 2008

Tempo with a little LT thrown in



My next race will be May 10th at the Series 7 road race in Cumming, GA. This will be sort of a homecoming as we used to live in Cumming, GA for about 8 years prior to moving back to SC and my parents and brother still live in the area at Big Canoe, GA.

Nothing special about the road race but after doing 2 months of short intervals, I need some time in the saddle in order to stay in the pack and hopefully contend for the sprint at the finish.

The plan called for a 2 hour hard road ride with at least 30 minutes of MSP/SMSP thrown in. Just to clarify, SMSP is basically L5-L6 and MSP is L4. I decided to do all MSP as my criterium racing schedule is pretty much over.

I'm not sure if it was being outside on the road or just trying to get the ride in before the rain, but my average speed for the 1.75 hour ride was 20.6 mph, a little higher than anticipated. I cut the ride short by about 15 minutes as the rain started picking up and I had some family obligations that I needed to get ready for.

Pretty good ride with about 40 minutes of L4 work and the rest tempo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi just read your message.interested to know how you got on after 2 months of intense interval work.was it enough to get you around a 2-3 hr roadrace with some tempo thrown in.john t

Scott said...

John,

Absolutely! I ended up getting 5th in the road race and never felt "on the rivet" so to speak at any time in the race. I'm done doing junk miles just to meet a time goal. Do the main set workout, cool down and go home.