Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Working through the pain

Not much to report other than my piriformis and ITB acting up. The sore piriformis actually stopped me from running right at the end of my 16 week OS plan and along with several missed training days due to travel for work, forced me to withdraw from my first event of the year - Lake Murray Sprint. The pain would start about a mile into the run and would linger for the remainder of the run. Stopping and stretching would offer temporary relief but not enough to kick the pain for the rest of the run. I tried stretching and other methods of relief but nothing seemed to help until I received my foam roller.

I didn't realize how bad of shape my muscle tissue was until I rolled it for the first time. I said quite a few 4 letters words - mainly OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! What rolling I did do seemed to offer some relief and i was able to complete 3 x 10' @95% FTP without any pain. More rolling this morning before I run this afternoon and hopefully, will be close to pain free.

I'm coming to the end of my 2 week transition between plans and will start 8 weeks of what Endurance Nation calls Basic Month which is the time when you start adding structured swim workouts and distance to the bike and run. Time to add far to the fast.

No comments: