Monday, August 17, 2009

5 1/2 weeks to go

Scheduled for 14.5 hours with 3 hours swimming, 6.5 hours biking, and 5 hours running. This is week 7 of 12 and is my biggest week of the plan. From here I'll start to slowly cut back the hours and do two race rehearsals with the second the Saturday before I start my 2 week taper.

My running has been going extremely well. I've started doing the 10':1' run /walk during my long runs on Thursday and it has made quite a difference in terms of how I feel that afternoon and the next day. For those interested, I'm following the Bobby McGee run / walk protocol. You can listen to an interview with Bobby here, where he explains the concept. Says that people running 2:30 marathons still see improvement in their times by using the run/walk system.


I've skipped my last 2 vdot tests just because I hate them and I don't want to injure myself. Instead, I've started increasing my mile pace during my 4 x 1 mile intervals and have taken off about 10" per mile. See, no need to do a 5K TT.

Headed to the beach this weekend for some flat land and major head winds and then off to Augusta next Saturday to ride the bike course of the upcoming 70.3

With all of the running I've been doing, my weight has dropped another 2lbs (down to 150lbs or 68.2kg) and my body fat is hovering around 7.5 to 8%. I just can't lay off the ice cream at night. I call it carbo loading for my early morning swims.

1 comment:

Nick said...

hey Scott, what time are you riding the Augusta course on Saturday? I'd love to join you if I can work it out.