Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Back from vacation

The legs felt pretty good coming off 5 days of playing in the powder in Utah. The plan called for 3 x 8' on 2' off at 95-100% FTP. I actually increased the average wattage for each succeeding interval, saving the best for last. I then ran at an easy pace for 25 minutes to complete the day's scheduled workout.

I've been swimming for 45 minutes every M, W, and F in hopes of improving my stroke and building endurance and I'm starting to see a little improvement. I was active in swim team as a kid (numerous county and region breast stroke ribbons to prove it) but up until December 08, I only swam 5X in the past 28 years and the 5X were an attempt to get ready for my first sprint triathlon (6/08). I don't count wading in the pool with my kids as structured swimming nor do I count lounging in a chair watching the waves crash the beach at Holden. So, with little base to build on, the ROI is pretty high for me right now and the additional time has little effect on my other training.

The runs at HMP and TP are getting easier as I'm having to really focus on slowing down my pace when performing these intervals. I guess the 200 miles I did at 180 cadenece (listing to a metronome on my Ipod) are paying off by keeping my turnover high.

I have 2 solid weeks of training before I head to Disney with the family and hope this is the last major break in my training schedule.

No comments: