Wednesday, December 31, 2008

5K TT - 17 second improvement

I decided to do my run testing a week early as I'll be heading out of town when my training plan calls for the test. My warm-up consisted of a 1.5 mile jog over to a local city park that has a dirt track that is rarely, if ever used as I thought this would be a great venue for doing these monthly tests.

I started out a pace that I thought I could hold the entire 5K. After 1.5 miles, I realized I was wrong. I ran the first mile in 6:38, second in 7:09, third in 7:13, and the final 0.10 in 6:36 for a grand total of 21:40. Nothing like a positive split!! Not bad considering I haven't done any speed work and I shaved 17 seconds off my 5K time I did in a race a little over a month ago. My vDot climbed 0.4 to 45.4 but still not where I want to be which is under 20'. Hopefully the next 16 weeks will get me closer to my goal - just in time for short course racing!

Next month I'll go out a little more conservative - 7' first mile and then try to drop 10 seconds on each of the remaining miles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to come ride w/ us in NE Cola. We do t-runs after our rides and you'll get a great workout.
jbrandenburg@sc.rr.com if you are interested in getting faster. Some of our group is using EN plans for IM Wisconsin. Strauss is a great guy. Good luck.

Rich Strauss said...

Camden,

As you learn how to pace these you'll see your times drop. For me, if I feel sick to my stomach at 3'...I've over-cooked it. I really hold myself back the first 6' or so, then go from there.

Rich