Thursday, June 5, 2008

Put a fork in me, I'm done!

I was planning on heading out at 6:30AM for a 3 hour ride but was informed by my children that their cheerleading camp performance was at 11:15AM. It was doable but I'm married to a night owl and getting her moving in the morning is tough, so I help out by getting the kids fed, watered, and supervise the teeth brushing while she showers and gets dressed. If everything goes as planned, they head out at 8:45AM for a 9:00AM camp. Not enough time for me to get my ride in.

The performance was over by 12:00 noon and on the way home, I checked the outside air temperature and it said 99F!!! My ride was not going to fun. I'd been hydrating all morning and added a little extra salt to my bottles and checked my weight and hydration on my scale before heading out. 157.2 lbs and a hydration level of 61.2% which is above where I normally am for this time of the day.

I headed out and decided to do the flat to rolling route to minimize fatigue from hills and immediately noticed a significant headwind. Nothing like a hot headwind to zap your energy. I felt sluggish after about 45 minutes into the ride and decided to pull over at a convenience store and get a cold bottle of water and something to eat. This did help and I made it a point to stop every 30 minutes thereafter just to get out of the sun.

I didn't quite make the goal of 3 hours but ended up with 2:30. My weight dropped to 154 and my hydration level actually increased to 62.4%. I checked accuweather.com when I got home and they showed the high for this afternoon to be 101F with 15 mph gusts. You've got to love the summer time in the South!

2 comments:

Nick said...

Yeah, the heat has been ridiculous this week. Isn't it too early for this? The heat + humidity + headwind + hills got to me pretty bad on my commute home from work on Wednesday afternoon. It's only a 15 mile ride from work to home but it was my 3rd ride / 4th workout of the day and I was suffering. Normally I like training so much that I don't really enjoy tapering for a race, but I've been glad to be off the bike and run yesterday and today. Hopefully next week will be a little cooler or else next week amy have to be swim focused :p

Scott said...

I hear ya. I decided to run today and it was way too h-h-hot!!! The 3 miles I ran reminded me how much I hate to run. I can't wait until the 21st so I can put this triathlon behind me. You tri folks are a special breed - it's hard enough to focus on one sport or discipline much less three!

Good luck on Saturday.