Wednesday, July 1, 2009

87 days and counting

87 days until my A race. I start my 12 week HIM plan on 7/6 which will take me right up to race day. My swim workouts will change slightly but mainly the time will increase by about 50%, not to mention the distance. Hopefully by the end of the 12 weeks, I will have made peace with the water and will be Hackett or Phelps-like swimming in the nuclear waste run-off stream called the Savannah River.

I've bagged quite a bit of bike and run testing as I feel I'm pretty in tune with my power #'s and don't want to aggravate my hamstring or piriformis muscle by trying to blow out a 5K test. It is what it is and on race day, I will run what my body says I can run.

Regarding the bike power, I've dropped my FTP over the past several weeks as adapting to the new aero position has taken longer than expected and I'm having difficulty hitting the target range for my intervals. Part of it is that I need to HTFU and "Just Do It!", but now that I'm more aero, I'm finding it difficult to hit the FTP target. I did add a spacer back under my stem now that I'm done with short course racing and also in hopes of eeking out a few more watts.

No comments: