Monday, April 13, 2009

Why not Bike, Swim, & Run or Run, Swim, and Bike?

Freestyle swimming has humbled me. Growing up, I was a pretty decent breaststroker and have a box full of county meet ribbons to prove it. Freestyle was my next best stroke but that's all changed. Fast forward 30+ years and while I can still breaststroke fairly well, I can't freestyle for the life of me. For some reason I sink no matter how low I keep my head and regardless if I have a pull buoy between my legs. Breathing while swimming freestyle, forget about it. How could something so simple be so difficult in the water? Give me a snorkel and I'll swim circles around you.

I'm been swimming on average 2X per week since December and I'm no further along. I was making great strides in early February but then we headed to Disney for a few days and I came down with the flu and I've been pretty much useless in the water since that time.

Maybe a Master's class would help or private lessons. Or maybe they could change the order of the disciplines and move the swim to the middle and that way I could use my strength biking or running to get a time gap on all of the swimmers. Or maybe I could wear a snorkel and be so fast out of the water that I wouldn't hear the comments like - where's your spear gun? I'm not sure I'm up for all the ridicule of wearing a snorkel as the blogs are still talking about fin man from IMFL.

I tried making peace with the water as Bree Wee suggested in her blog. It didn't work. We're still at odds with one another.

No comments: