Monday, November 12, 2007

I Made It Through The First Week

The first week of my training plan is in the books, riding 210 miles in 11 hours and 17 minutes and racking up 704 TSS points. As far as calories, I burned 7,587. As of today, my CTL is 65 and TSB is -24.

On Saturday, the plan called for 4 hours of endurance/tempo riding in addition to 2 x 20's in a range of 85 - 95% of FTP. The alarm clock went off at 5:45AM and at first glance out of the window, I knew it was too dark to ride. I waited until 6:30AM and headed out in a temperature hovering around 38F. My daughter had a soccer game at 10:30AM and we were leaving for the South Carolina football game at 3:00PM. so I knew getting in 4 hours after the late start would be impossible. I was able to complete 3:10 of the 4 hours and near the end, my right hip starting getting tired. I got home in time to change and mix a recovery drink before heading out with the family for the soccer game.

We got home at 1:30AM Sunday morning from the football game and I knew that riding before church was out as I needed sleep. The alarm went off at 7:45AM and felt tired. In fact, I felt tired all day long. The plan called for 2:30 with 2 hours in range of 180 - 220W and the rest WU and CD. I started a little after 9:00PM and I felt terrible. I think I was on the verge of bonking with an hour left and I stopped to find a PowerBar Gel. It was all I could do maintain an average of 180W and to top things off, my right hip started hurting. I stopped the ride at 2:01, got a recovery drink and hit the showers before bed. Monday and Tuesday are off days (which I really need) and plan to fill this time with plenty of stretching. This week is relatively light as it is giving me a breather for the 17.5 hours scheduled for next week.

No comments: